Filming is allowed in the City of Westlake Village under certain guidelines. All filming within the City requires a film permit, including filming on private property, parks, streets, etc.
Current news reporting, productions conducted exclusively for charitable purposes, and student films are exempt from film permit fees.
Filming applications must be submitted at least fifteen (15) business days prior to the desired date for filming. Applications will not be accepted for dates sooner than fifteen (15) days from the date of submittal.
ALL FILM PERMIT APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Film Permit Application
- Application & Per Day Filming Fees (fee schedule identified below)
- Application Deposit
- Certificate of Liability Insurance
- Endorsement of Additional Insured
- LA County Fire Permit
- Hold Harmless Form
- Film Permit Authorization Form
FILM PERMITS MAY ALSO BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE:
- LA County Sheriff's Permit
- Film Permit Notification
- Traffic Control Plan
- Other Information as Deemed Necessary by the City Manager
Film Permit Application
- Acceptable applications can be submitted in person, online, or via fax.
- In person submissions can be made Monday Through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm to City Hall.
- Online submissions may be through the online form submission, or by uploading a signed copy to the City at Elyse@wlv.org or to Mike@wlv.org.
- Applications may be faxed to 818-706-1391.
Application & Per Day Filming Fees
- All film permits are require a non-refundable application fee of $250.00.
- In addition to the application fee there is a non-refundable per day filming fee. Shots that occur exclusively on private property are $300.00 per day, while shots that occur on or show public property are $500.00 per day.
- The application fee, and per day filming fee are to be submitted via cash or a single check made payable to the “City of Westlake Village”
- All film permits are required to post a refundable deposit of $500.00 in the form of a check made payable to the “City of Westlake Village,” to ensure cleanup and restoration of the site. Once filming has been completed and the site inspected by City staff, the deposit will be returned to the applicant.
Certificate of Liability Insurance
- The applicant shall provide the City proof of liability insurance, covering any and all damages or claims for damages due to injuries to persons or property arising out of the event, its preparation, or cleanup.
- The policy shall be issued by an insurance company admitted to do business in the State of California and possessing a rating in the most recent edition of Best's Insurance Guide of B+; VII or better.
- The insurance coverage shall be at least $2,000,000 in the aggregate, and at least $1,000,000 per occurrence. The liability limits may be increased or decreased at the sole discretion of the City Manager.
- The certificate of insurance shall list in the certificate holder box: “City of Westlake Village and its officers, officials, employees, agents, and volunteers; 31200 Oak Crest Drive; Westlake Village, CA 91361”
Endorsement of Additional Insured
- In addition to the Certificate of Insurance, the applicant shall provide a separate Endorsement of Additional Insured with naming: “City of Westlake Village and its officers, officials, employees, agents, and volunteers; 31200 Oak Crest Drive; Westlake Village, CA 91361”
LA County Fire Permit
- All film permit applications require submission of an LA County Fire Permit.
- An LA County Fire Permits can be obtained calling 818-364-8240.
- Any fees associated with the issuance of an LA County Fire permit is the responsibility of the applicant, and shall be paid directly to LA County Fire.
Hold Harmless Form
- All film permits shall submit a signed Hold Harmless Form
Film Permit Authorization Form
- All film permits shall submit a signed Film Permit Authorization Form
LA County Sheriff's Permit
- Some shoots, such as those including special effects or partial traffic closures, require a permit issued by LA County Sheriff’s.
- Determination of the requirement for an LA County Sheriff’s permit shall be at the discretion of the City Manager and the LA County Sheriff’s Department.
- LA County Sheriff’s Department can be reached at 818-878-1808.
- Any fees associated with the issuance of an LA County Sheriff's permit is the responsibility of the applicant, and shall be paid directly to LA County Sheriff's Department.
Film Permit Notification
- Filming may be subject to the requirement to provide notice to adjacent residences and businesses within 300 feet of a proposed film location.
- The notification requirement may be waived, expanded to require 100% written approval, or have the radius expanded or decreased at the sole discretion of the City Manager.
- Notification shall be provided by the applicant on the Filming Notification Form provided by the City.
Traffic Control Plan
- Filming that proposes to close a portion of a public street or encroach into the public right-of-way shall be required to submit a Traffic Control Plan with the application.
- Traffic Control Plans should be implemented by a barricade service that is familiar with the City of Westlake Village.
- A deposit for additional costs incurred with the review of the Traffic Control Plan by the City’s Traffic Engineer may be required prior to approval.
The City Manager reserves the right to request any additional, reasonable information about the proposed filming, prior to the issuance of a film permit.
- All special effects must be described in detail on the application.
- If the permit is denied, the applicant may appeal in writing within five business days. That appeal will be considered by the City Council at its next meeting.
- On-street parking in residential areas, except for temporary loading and unloading, is prohibited unless special approval is granted by the City Manager.
- Filming is allowed in residential areas only during the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., including all activities associated with set-up and removal. Hours may be extended if written approval is received from each residence within a 300 foot radius of the filming site, or greater if deemed necessary by the City Manager. Approvals must be submitted on the Signature Survey Form provided by the City. The City of Westlake Village requires 100% approval for the forms submitted.
- Filming is restricted at any single residential location to three (3) consecutive days within a 1-year period unless signed approval is received from each residence within a 300 foot radius, or greater if deemed necessary by the City Manager. Approvals must be submitted on the Signature Survey Form provided by the City. The City of Westlake Village requires 100% approval for the forms submitted.
- No total street closures are allowed.
- Temporary street signage is prohibited.
- No changes in filming can be made after the initial permit issuance without written approval of the City Manager.
- Violation of the film ordinance is a misdemeanor.