to best assist residents and businesses, applicants are strongly encouraged to contact staff for an appointment
A ZONING CLEARANCE IS NOT AN "OVER THE COUNTER" PROCESS. PROCESSING TIME IS TYPICALLY FROM 1 TO 3 DAYS.
What is a Zoning Clearance?
The Planning Department's equivalent to a "Plan Check" results in the issuance of a Zoning Clearance. This is a minor administrative approval that confirms the compliance of a proposal with the City's Zoning Ordinance. Matters for which Zoning Clearances are issued include, but are not limited to:
- Commercial/Industrial Tenant Improvements
- Small additions to buildings
- Decks, patios, and balconies
- Swimming pools, spas, and waterfalls
- Firepit/BBQ structures and gas lines
- Accessory Structures
Do I need a Zoning Clearance?
In most cases, a Zoning Clearance will be required prior to the issuance of a Building Permit. The best way to determine whether a Zoning Clearance is required is to contact the Planning Department.
How do I obtain a Zoning Clearance?
To obtain a Zoning Clearance, bring to the Planning Department counter at City Hall:
- Four (4) copies of plans for work to be done (typically Site plan, Elevations, Floor Plans, and/or Roof plans)
- $50 application fee (cash or check)
- Copy of Homeowners Association approval of proposed work (residential projects only)
CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION
Any demolition of existing structures or portions there of, and new development that may generate solid waste is required to fill out Construction and Demolition Form 1 prior to commencing the project, and Form 2 within 45 days of project completion.
Construction and Demolition Form 1
Construction and Demolition Form 2