City Hall is open to the public. Appointments are strongly encouraged for planning counter services. Please schedule an appointment online or call (818) 706-1613. In addition to in-person appointments, online appointments via video conference are also available.
Westlake Village is updating its Housing Element as required by state law. The draft Housing Element is available for public review and comments are being accepted through July 15, 2021.
About the Planning Department
The Planning Department administers the General Plan and ensures compliance with the City’s Municipal Code. Planning reviews all development proposals for conformance with the City's zoning policies and standards and conducts environmental review as required by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
The Planning Department serves the community with issues related to land development, housing, construction, code enforcement, as well as solid waste and recycling programs. The Planning Department performs current and long range planning, enforces zoning and land use regulations, reviews site and development plans, provides technical support to other City departments, including the City Council and its committees and implements activities relating to the enhancement of the quality of life for the City’s residents.
The Planning Department is responsible for carrying out the long range and day to day planning functions, including:
- Preparing and maintaining the Westlake Village General Plan;
- Administering, maintaining and enforcing the City's Zoning Ordinance;
- Counseling community residents and project proponents regarding applicable development standards and procedures;
- Reviewing and presenting major development projects for City Council review and disposition;
- Coordinating the activities of contract agencies, including building and safety, fire, and public works relative to development activities;
- Overseeing the City’s solid waste reduction and recycling programs.