Westlake Village residents may operate a variety of home-based businesses, subject to certain limitations and requirements as provided in Westlake Village Municipal Code Chapter 9.28. These requirements include, but are not limited to, limitations on type of business, hours of operation, employees, customers, and vehicles.
Licenses and Permits
The City of Westlake Village does not require any license or permit to operate a home-based business. However, please note that certain types of businesses require a business license from the County of Los Angeles, and certain businesses may require additional permits or licenses from County or State agencies. It is incumbent upon the resident to investigate and obtain all required permits and licenses for the business.
The following types of home-based businesses are prohibited:
- Any activity that generates noise, vibration, dust, or smoke, or otherwise constitutes a public nuisance
- Animal services of any kind including pet grooming, veterinary services, and boarding
- Auto repair of any kind including mechanical repair, body repair, painting, and upholstery
- Beauty and barber services including but not limited to hair, nails, and eyebrows
- Carpentry and cabinet making
- Firearms sales
- Industrial or manufacturing activities of any kind
- Massage therapy
- Medical offices, clinics, or laboratories including but not limited to doctors, dentists, psychiatrists, psychologists, chiropractors, and physical therapists
- Sale of goods directly from the premises (does not include goods that are shipped to the buyer)
- Welding or machining of any kind
Please note that your Homeowners Association may have its own regulations related to home occupations that may be more restrictive than the Municipal Code. Please check with your Homeowners Association before starting a home-based business.