What is a Zoning Clearance?
The Planning Department's equivalent to a "Plan Check" results in the issuance of a Zoning Clearance. This is a minor administrative approval that confirms the compliance of a proposal with the City's Zoning Ordinance. Matters for which Zoning Clearances are issued include, but are not limited to:
- Commercial/Industrial Tenant Improvements
- Small additions to buildings
- Decks, patios, and balconies
- Swimming pools, spas, and waterfalls
- Firepit/BBQ structures and gas lines
- Accessory Structures
Do I need a Zoning Clearance?
In most cases, a Zoning Clearance will be required prior to the issuance of a Building Permit. The best way to determine whether a Zoning Clearance is required is to contact the Planning Department.
How do I obtain a Zoning Clearance?
To obtain a Zoning Clearance, bring to the Planning Department counter at City Hall:
- Four (4) copies of plans for work to be done (typically Site plan, Elevations, Floor Plans, and/or Roof plans)
- $50 application fee (cash or check)
- Copy of Homeowners Association approval of proposed work (residential projects only)
A Zoning Clearance is NOT an "over the counter" process. Processing time is typically from 1 to 3 days.
CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION
Any demolition of existing structures or portions there of, and new development that may generate solid waste is required to fill out Construction and Demolition Form 1 prior to commencing the project, and Form 2 within 45 days of project completion.
Construction and Demolition Form 1
Construction and Demolition Form 2